Nonni’s Italian Eatery “The Brooklyn Bomb” award winning Double Stuffed Potato with Macaroni and Cheese Recipe. (Yields: 4 Servings)
Saturday was the New Hampshire Dairy Associations contest that took place at the Holiday Inn in Concord. It was a promotion to raise awareness of local dairy farmers. The contest was “The Best Macaroni and Cheese” categories included best traditional, most unique and many more. Nonni’s Italian Eatery took “People’s Choice 2011” Of the 400 attendees we were chosen as best of for 2011.
Chef Mat made the BROOKLYN BOMB, a double stuffed baked potato with macaroni and cheese. The surprise on the bottom was a dollop of sour cream, green onion and bacon. POW what a combo…check out the winning recipe ingredients and step by step cooking instructions if you would like to take a stab at recreating our winning dish for yourself.
- 2 Medium russet potato’s, baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Set asside to cool.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni cooked in salted water 6 minutes the cooled down and set aside.
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 onion
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Sour cream
- Cooked Bacon
- Green Onion
Step by step cooking instructions:
- Place heavy cream, onion and clove and bay leaf in a heavy sauce pan and simmer for 30 minutes to release flavors.
- Make a roux combining equal parts melted butter and flour and cook together slowly for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the cream mixture and slowly whisk it into the cooked roux in a heavy gage sauce pan.
- The mixture will thicken. Continue to cook over medium heat for thirty minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fold in all the cheeses as they melt continue to stir.
- Season with salt and pepper and taste for preferred flavor.
- Add the cayenne pepper and the cooked macaroni to the cream and cheese mixture.
- The consistency should be thick and heavy. Set aside to cool.
- Now cut your baking potato’s in half and scoop out the inside of the potato leaving the skin in tack.
- Mash the potato filling and fold into the macaroni and cheese mix.
- On the bottom of the scooped potato place a small dollop of sour cream followed by a piece of cooked bacon and some chopped green onion.
- Now fill the potato with the Potato Macaroni and Cheese Filling.
- Bake once again in a 300 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown crust has formed.